[squeak-dev] Rasperry Pi anyone?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Thu Aug 9 17:02:33 UTC 2012

Hello,
most of you have probably heard of the Rasperry Pi ARM-based small/cheap computer. It is intended to be used in
education, and so running Scratch (and of course Squeak/Pharo) on it would be nice. Currently, the debian distro
available for it includes the original Linux interpreter VM, which together with the very moderate speed of the Raspi
results in pretty awful performance (I did not try it myself, just heard about it).
I don't have a Raspi yet (figured I've got too little spare time to order one), but maybe someone else has got one?
With the ARM Cog VM developed in Lars Wassermann's GSOC project, I have real hope for a VM that would run with
acceptable speed on that little computer.

What do folks think about it?

Cheers,
Hans-Martin