Supported platforms = ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: NetworkTests-ul.32.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 14 14:05:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 02:17:40PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 14 August 2012 13:34, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Cog does not provide the new network primitives. You can verify whether
> > your VM has the primitives by evaluating "NetNameResolver useOldNetwork".
> >
> > This may be an issue in Socket class>>remoteSocketAddress that is
> > exposed when running with the new network support. The test attempts
> > to do "Socket new peerName" which does not work (but should it???).
>
> Right now the CI environment _only_ runs Cog + Linux. At the very
> least we should test on Windows and OSX too. But the reason for the
> change in subject is that it sounds like we also need to test several
> _VMs_ + platform?

In a perfect world we would test the image on a range of operating
systems and VMs, including out of date VMs, old operating systems,
old computers, 32-bit and 64-bit VMs, etc, etc. It would be worthwhile
to test both Cog and SqueakVM on Linux, but extending the range beyond
that might be a lot of work.

Dave