[squeak-dev] Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Aug 17 18:46:10 UTC 2012

On 8/17/12 11:21 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 16.08.2012, at 22:28, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Many applications do not need FFI, so it including would add
>> unnecessary (in many cases) bits to the footprint.
>>
>> FFI is a one-click install from SqueakMap, which can be accessed
>> programmatically via the Installer class, which is included with
>> Squeak.
>>
>> HTH.
> Right. Also, if we included it by default, people might think it is okay to use for providing basic functions. If FFI calls started to creep into the basic image we would lose the big advantage of platform independence.
>
> - Bert -

Which is a huge downside to the current implementation of NativeBoost,
although, in theory, you could create a version that would compile to C
via slang rather than using Igor's x86 assembler syntax.

Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all