NBHelp in Squeak (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 01:07:49 UTC 2012

On 22 August 2012 02:11, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> It uses too many "pharoisms", so it won't work in Squeak out of the box:
>>> - Gofer
>>> - LogicalFont
>>> - StandardFonts
>>> - pragma-based "registration" for HelpSystem
>>>
>>> The first can be loaded, the lines containing the next two can be
>>> replaced
>>> with "TextStyle defaultFont" and then you can open the HelpBrowser with:
>>> HelpBrowser openOn: NBHelp asHelpTopic.
>>>
>>> Btw, green text for source code doesn't look very nice and it would be
>>> better to use the Metacello API to load PP.
>>>

>> I never tried it on squeak, so sure thing it may not work.
>

> Sure.
>

>> I have two questions:
>> - why LogicalFont considered pharoism?
>> (StandardFonts is, but LogicalFont?)
>

> Because it doesn't exist in Squeak.

Ah, ok i checked.. it is part of freetype.
This is strange, i always assumed LogicalFont was always in base fonts
package :)

I was using
TextStyle defaultFont before logical font:

headingStyle: level
	| size |

	size := self defaultFont height.
	size := size *
	( #(
		2.0
		1.5
		1.4
		1.25
		1.0
	) at: level ).

	^ TextFontReference toFont: (

		TextStyle default fontOfSize: size
	)

The problem is that #fontOfSize using stupid fontArray which works
well for strike fonts (since you have limited set of sizes for font),
while for truetype fonts its size is always =1
and it always answers the font of very same size, depite that truetype
fonts can be sized to any size almost effortlessly.. so this makes
headings look like regular text :(
Maybe it is pharo bug needs to be fixed..
But the font API is very obscure and unfriendly..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.