[squeak-dev] New Cog VMs available

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 16:55:11 UTC 2012

On 12/3/12 11:42 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>   In true reentrancy each recursive call would essentially get their own VM.
>> >
>> >They could, but what's in the VM that they really need a separate copy of?
> It's not the VM, it's the shared state of the image that would cause a
> problem (if anything did). I would think, at least.
If that were the case, then he would need not only his own VM, but his
own image. If these calls from C are expecting a virgin image with the
ability to execute arbitrary smalltalk code and never see anybody else's
data, then a separate image (or at leat super sandbox) would seem a
requirement. OTOH, if he wanted to make use of some BitBlt functions,
e.g., then he could ship a bitmap to Squeak, request some transformation
and receive a new bitmap in return. In this case, one Vm and one image
would seem to do nicely.

Cheers,
Bob