[squeak-dev] Cog VM crash dump

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:21:30 UTC 2012

On 6 December 2012 03:22, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> We identified the problem using an assert-enabled VM that runs a bit slower
> but prints useful error messages in advance of crashes.  I wonder Chris if
> you'd be willing to try an assert-enabled VM with your code and see if we
> can find out more info.  Hopefully the crash will have the same cause.  I'm
> working on a fix right now.  One half is to increase the per-page headroom a
> little.  Another fix is to generate plugins in a more intelligent way so
> that dynamic linking activity will be done at plugin load time, and so that
> internal plugins will statically link against the VM, for a little extra
> performance.

Yes we also observed some strangeness when trying to find cause of
crash in linux<->mongodb smalltalkhub image.

- if you open a web page (served by image) and let it just load
completely, everything works just fine..
but if you storm the service by hitting 'reload' button , it was
crashing quite regularly.
under debugger i seen a lot of SIGPIPE signals coming in (because
browser terminating connection)
and then crash soon after.
still its unclear if this is the same bug.. but i am pretty sure it is
related to async i/o & events.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.