[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Protecting against stack overflow ?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 11 04:53:43 UTC 2012

On 10-12-2012, at 5:33 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I like the idea of reviving the low space mechanism and maintaining it properly.

I hope this isn't implying that the low space mechanism is currently not used! That would be bad.

Beware of details when running low on space (I know Eliot is likely to remember since he is old enough to recall us running on 1Mb RAM machines with no virtual memory) - last time I had issues with the Squeak lowspace trigger it was complicated by
a) Dan I stealing memory for some GC purpose *without going via appropriate checking*
b) A hard assumption that you would get more memory from the OS and thus a) would be survivable.
T'ain't always so. Do It RIght.

tim
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley