[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.4 progress update

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:26:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-11 8:04 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So we've all the infrastructure bits in place now.
>
> If my understanding of the process is correct (see
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188) we still need to do the following:
> * take a Trunk and apply the 4.4 background image
> * run the ReleaseBuilder on this candidate
> * prepare All-in-One zips/tarballs for OS X, Windows and Linux
> * update Trunk to start the 4.5 cycle.
>
> If I'm wrong about this process, now's the time to tell me!
>
> I've got a dump of Chris Cunnington's details around the All-in-One
> step. I'm still working my way through that, wrapping my head around
> the process.
>
> frank

I don't think I prepared the All-in-One. I remember being where you are
right now executing the ReleaseBuilder over and over on an alpha and
then showing it to the members of the Board, who'd look at it and say
how it needed this or that. I remember ensuring it opening at a given
size was important. An early version I had opened too small and the
world menu couldn't be seen. I remember going to pains to position the
five welcome windows. There was all kinds of business about running the
tests, which doesn't matter now, as this has to be the most tested
release of all time due to the CI server. I remember having to use
ZipFiles4PC to ensure there were no Mac artifacts in a distribution that
would include Windows users. In short my recollections start from where
you are now.

But let's acknowledge something about process. I just bash forward, look
at the mess, learn something, and repeat. There was no manual for
releasing an image, and the Board wasn't really telling me anything. So
I created a feedback loop, a kind of bat sonar. I think, Frank, your
moment of bashing has arrived. You've done everything possible to be
free of mistakes. I think what you need to do now is produce a rev and
submit it for correction. I did it for the Board and you could just post
it to Squeak-dev. Apply the background image, execute ReleaseBuilder,
and submit the image here. Forget about the All-in-One or starting the
cycle anew for now.

And take a bit of weight off your own shoulders. You're right because
you're doing it. None of these people nor members of the Board can tell
what you need to do before the fact. They can only know what they don't
like when they have something to see. You're never wrong, because they
never really know what they want. You're mapping the trail so that it's
easier for the next guy.

Chris