[squeak-dev] Altitude's ALPath

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 21:43:38 UTC 2012

Should ALPath decode a request's path?

In particular, I'm mucking around again with reflecting images with
Altitude, and send a GET to
http://127.0.0.1:9090/organization/classes-in/Graphics-Display%20Objects

I'd expected the resulting ALPath such that path third =
'Graphics-Display Objects', but it's actually path third =
'Graphics-Display%20Objects'.

>From my reading of RFC 3986 [1], especially sections 2.5 and 7.3, it
seems like (a) it's up to the scheme definition as to how to encode
things (beyond encoding reserved characters) and that (b) usually
that's string -> utf-8 -> %-encoding.

What do you think? Should ALPath (or ALHttpParser during construction
of same) be responsible for shielding the application from the
vagaries of HTTP's encoding rules?

frank

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986