[squeak-dev] four Altitude questions

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:27:14 UTC 2012

Why are the tokens in Altitude urls called RESTful? This is suggested by
the handler of the three strategy patterns listed below, which is called
ALRestfulLocator.

On 2012-12-13 9:15 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
> ALSequentialUrlStrategygenerates urls in a predicable sequence: /1,
> /2, /3 etc. This is handy for testing. It might also be good for
> something like a URL shortening service where the shortest possible
> URLs are desirable.
>
> ALRandomUrlStrategydoes the opposite. It generates pseudo-random
> unguessable URLs. That makes a web application more secure
This produces a 24-char token (ie
http://localhost:8624/9rYxkg6HV_XCSiCbO2Z7tnFC )

> ALDigestUrlStrategyprovides a middle path between predictability and
> unpredictability. It creates urls that are difficult to guess, but
> consistent. So, for example, two different images running the same
> application would generate the same urls for equivalent resources.
> (This wouldn't be the case with random urls).

This produces a 24-char token (ie
http://localhost:8624/9rYxkg6HV_XCSiCbO2Z7tnFC )

9rYxkg6HV_XCSiCbO2Z7tnFC does not look RESTful to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv157ZIInUk looks RESTful to me.

Andreas Raab criticized Seaside because SqueakSource cannot be indexed
by Google. The Altitude url tokens look extremely similar to Seaside's.

1. If they are different, how?

2. Can an Altitude application be indexed by Google? If so, which
subclass of ALUrlStrategy would be employed?

Chris