[squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:35:19 UTC 2012

On 20 December 2012 19:31, Chris Cunnington
<smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-12-20 2:23 PM, Benoit St-Jean wrote:
>
> FYI, I did post my remarks/concerns on the Squeak and Pharo mailing lists
> regarding this subject a year ago but it just seems like nobody read or did
> care.
>
> Secondly, as I said, a year ago, we should definitely have *separate* code
> repositories for Squeak and Pharo.  I just closed Squeak 30 seconds ago,
> being totally fed up with packages that wouldn't load...  Right now, both
> environments are polluting the code of the other and it's nonsense...  You
> know the kind of horror story where version 7 (Squeak) fixes version 6
> (Pharo) that now became version 8 (Pharo again) but that will be fixed as a
> combo of version 6 and 8 for Squeak?
>
> Yes, I agree. It's a problem. And all the points you make are valid. And
> this time, thank you, you came up with some examples with things examples
> you like and would like to see. Others reading this will find that useful
> for the process of finding a solution.
>
> I will say this, though. Sometimes, it's not as easy as it seems. By that I
> mean there can be a technical solution available that people do not want to
> use. They just don't like it: the interface; the experience; the process,
> whatever. That's SqueakMap. When the SqueakMap advocate shows up the first
> thing he will say is: "SqueakMap solves all those problems. It does all
> that." And you know what, he has a point.
>
> But if people don't want to use it... You see, Benoit, the problem is less
> about code and about something else. But smart are people thinking about
> this. They want a solution too.

I think SM's real problem is that everyone forgot about it. And when
someone remembered it (was it Chris Muller?), it looked old and dated.
The idea's sound, the code might need some love, but it _works_. Here,
_today_. Not as shiny as yet another brand new idea to solve an old
problem, maybe. Maybe it needs some love, and a touch of makeup. But
you can go load a few packages right now into your 4.4 image.

frank