[squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..

Douglas Brebner squeaklists at fang.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 14:05:04 UTC 2012

On 21/12/2012 09:19, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> We just had Göran telling us quite the opposite. I see no reason to
> reject "them", and even no reason to think in terms of "us" and
> "them". It looks that at the moment Squeak development includes items
> from many places, including Cuis or Spoon or Pharo or Etoys, not to
> mention Cog, so let it be. Everybody is happy within his own world,
> and if these worlds can exchange (and they should) it's only positive.

I have to agree here. It seems to me that the various forks function as
incubators for different projects and experiments that wouldn't fly in
the other forks. After all, don't some of these forks exist entirely
because the people working on them wanted to try stuff that wouldn't be
allowed or workable in the mainline Squeak distribution? And yet, some
of those things have spread, like Cuis text handling.