[squeak-dev] Release candidate Squeak4.4-12320 ready

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Dec 23 20:38:10 UTC 2012

On 23-12-2012, at 12:23 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>> Are non-RISC OS vm *still* opening a main window by default?
>
> Yes.

Sigh.

>> I hope not. It's a stupid thing to do; no window should even created until (and unless!) some displaying to Display (or suitable other object) is done.
>>

> You're right. Somebody should do something about that ;-)

Example code in the RISC OS branch. sqRPCWindows.c|ioShowDisplayOnWindow()
When a display operation is intended to affect the on-screen display, if no window already exists, make one first, then do the normal display work.  If no displaying is ever done - oh, I don't know, maybe because the image is set up to be a headless server - then no window needs to be created.

tim
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor and when was the last time you needed one?