[squeak-dev] R-Pi as a Squeak computer (was: Release candidate Squeak4.4-12320 ready)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Dec 24 14:56:19 UTC 2012

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Well, originally Smalltalk simply took over the entire machine and so whatever
> else might have been running got terminated with prejudice and cleared off
> the screen. I'm thinking of maybe building a RaspberryPi SD card image that
> just does enough to allow Squeak to run. Sort a slot-in Smalltalk engine.

The main complication is that the ARM is just the I/O processor on this
machine and it is the secret "GPU" that boots first and does all the
initialization. This has already been figured out for Linux in the form
of a binary blob, though I think there are enough details available to
adapt it for other uses. There is the option of having a stripped down
Linux under Squeak, like Dan Ingalls used in his Squeak Box
(unfortunately, http://www.fflinux.org where all the code was is long
gone):

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3558
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3502