[squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 11:48:06 UTC 2012

Frank,

On 12/27/12, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 December 2012 11:00, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> where can I have a look at the build script?
>>
>> And the console output is not very talkative....
>>
>> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/17/console
>
> * https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/download-vms/release.sh

OK, so the following bash script

    #! /bin/sh

    # This script takes the output of builtastic.sh and creates a releasable
    # artifact.

    SRC=$(cd $(dirname "$0"); pwd)
    . "${SRC}/versions.sh"
    . "${SRC}/functions.sh"

    SQUEAK_VERSION=`cat ${SRC}/target/TrunkImage.version`
    BASENAME=Squeak4.4-${SQUEAK_VERSION}

    build_interpreter_vm

    echo Using ${INTERPRETER_VM}
    echo Preparing ${BASENAME}...
    cp ${SRC}/target/TrunkImage.changes ${SRC}/target/${BASENAME}.changes
    cp ${SRC}/target/TrunkImage.image ${SRC}/target/${BASENAME}.image

    chmod +w ${SRC}/target/${BASENAME}.changes
    chmod +w ${SRC}/target/${BASENAME}.image

    echo Releasing ${BASENAME}...
    ${INTERPRETER_VM} -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null ${SRC}/target
/${BASENAME}.image ${SRC}/release.st

    echo Zipping ${BASENAME}...
    # Previous runs might leave a zip lying around.
    rm ${SRC}/target/${BASENAME}.zip
    (cd ${SRC}/target; zip -j ${BASENAME}.zip ${BASENAME}.changes
${BASENAME}.image)

CALLS the SMALLTALK script

> * https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/download-vms/release.st

    Form openAsBackground: (FileDirectory default / '..' /
'resources/wallpaper.png') pathName.
    Workspace allInstances do: [:w | w topView delete].
    ReleaseBuilderFor4dot4 prepareNewBuild.
    Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true.

Just by inspection (and with the knowledge that the version number of
the resulting image is correct) it seems that the error might be in
the Smalltalk script.

NOTE:
Anybody who downloads the latest trunk image and executes the above
Smalltalk script is in the position to find the error....... (hint,
hint to everybody...)

> No, the scripts are not talkative at all. I'm really not sure how to
> make them more talkative. Obviously in the shell scripts you can use
> echo, but those do hardly anything. Really what I want is something
> that writes to the Transcript when headful and to stdout/stderr when
> headless. I don't think we have such a thing at the moment.
>
> I also think that the ReleaseBuilder stuff doesn't belong in the Trunk
> image and should be maintained externally. (MAYBE it could be loaded
> into an image just as part of the release process, but really I'd like
> scaffolding - ConfigurationOf packages, ReleaseBuilder stuff, etc. -
> to not be in the image at all.)

I am actually very fine with the scaffolding script in the image,
reason see the note above.

And in addition this is what Andreas suggested in his memo which is
cited in the welcome window. External packages configurations /
scripts which are community supported should be in the image...

--Hannes