Proposal for SqueakCore 4.5 (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New release candidate: 4.4-12324)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Fri Dec 28 15:28:05 UTC 2012

Hi Pavel!

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Pavel Krivanek
<squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:

> Should Squeak be based on Pharo Kernel and basic packages? There were
> several discussions on this topic. Technically it is doable but it is
> politically impassable.

Sure, technically doable. Politically, it clashes with the goal of
having a kernel image based on Spoon, which has been the long-term
plan for Squeak.

> Should Squeak have own Squeak minimal image? How to reach that?
> Firstly I must say that Squeak Board should anwer this. You and Hannes
> are not members of the Board.

Well, the Board generally tries to avoid making technical/aspirational
decisions of this nature. This is for the community at large to
decide. In practice, that means if there are no strenuous objections
and if somebody is willing to do the work, the project can go forward.

I can also say that the Board regularly discusses modularity and
various options for reducing he size of the core image, so I doubt
there will be any objections.

> I'm ready to help you with several simple conditions: The image will
> be official - the next release will simply be this minimal image +
> packages, the "full" image will always be produced from the minimal
> image by the build server, the patches will be reviewed by two other
> persons and integrated quickly. I simply do not want to work on a
> project with uncertain future. Because from my point of view it is
> redoing of the same work that I did several times and to look into
> Squeak is like to look into the past from the remodularization
> perspective.

Well, as a volunteer for the 4.5 release team, I'd be happy to accept
your help, and commit to releasing a core image + an
automatically-built full image. This has long been a goal of the
Squeak community, we just make slower progress because we're not
willing to break existing functionality in Morphic and Etoys.

Thanks for speaking up Pavel, it's good to see you on squeak-dev again!

Colin