[squeak-dev] How can simple version control be implemented for binary objects?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:28:06 UTC 2012

Why do you think that Spoon is a version control system?

In particular, I would expect a version control system to be able to
tell me the difference between two arbitrary versions of things. From
my readings of Spoon's literature (and I'm pretty sure I've read all
of it), with the caveat that I might have missed or forgotten
something, I don't think this is something that Spoon can do, or even
_should_ do.

http://netjam.org/spoon/naiad/ for instance does not describe a
version control system. Version _aware_ yes.

More to the point, Spoon won't help with the OP's question, namely,
how to version control _arbitrary binary objects_. And I don't think
_anyone_ knows: git just stores them, but can't tell you much about
the difference between two versions of some object.

frank