[squeak-dev] How can simple version control be implemented for binary objects?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:15:50 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 18:00, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:
> On 2/1/12 10:28 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>> Why do you think that Spoon is a version control system?
>>
>> In particular, I would expect a version control system to be able to
>> tell me the difference between two arbitrary versions of things. From
>> my readings of Spoon's literature (and I'm pretty sure I've read all
>> of it), with the caveat that I might have missed or forgotten
>> something, I don't think this is something that Spoon can do, or even
>> _should_ do.
>
> http://thiscontext.wordpress.com/
>
> See: http://netjam.org/708DEAAF-71C8-4D05-8E2F-63ECBA8FBD8F.html
>
> This is possibly overkill or perhaps not, but it may have ideas for you.

Sure, that's exactly what I mean - in Spoon, everything _has_ a
version, but that doth not a version control system make! What was
that thing's parent version? How does it differ from that version?
Naiad does allow you to say "precisely these objects make up this
module", but that's only one teeny part of a version control system.
If you like, think of it as a version control system with zero
history.

I'm certainly not knocking Spoon for not being *ahem* a fork. It's
just that, unless I'm missing something, Spoon's not a version control
system.

frank