[squeak-dev] Resource Descriptor Framework

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Tue Feb 7 17:52:06 UTC 2012

Is there much being done with Resource Description Framework in
Squeak/Pharo?   I have some RDF data files that I need to load for my
masters project and am seeking advice on how to approach this.  I am
only just learning about RDF for the first time.   For anyone else
interested the best short overview I found so far is  [
http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-webdev ]

Apparently it this is a Simplified RDF Syntax as described at  [
http://www.langdale.com.au/CIMXML/PSModelExchange.pdf ]

A data file looks like like this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                xmlns:cim="http://iec.ch/TC57/2007/CIM-schema-cim12#">
    <cim:ACLineSegment rdf:ID="_7814201">
        <cim:Conductor.length>95</cim:Conductor.length>

<cim:IdentifiedObject.name>AMHE400MARCLINE</cim:IdentifiedObject.name>
        <cim:ConductingEquipment.BaseVoltage rdf:resource="#_400000302"/>
        <cim:Equipment.MemberOf_EquipmentContainer
rdf:resource="#_487038201"/>
    </cim:ACLineSegment>

The most obvious project on Squeaksource is Rakaiko [a] which says "RDF
is an essential part of the new web technologies and a fundamental layer
of the semantic Web 2.0 [...]  This API, compliant with the W3C RDF
specification will allow a developer to handle an RDF graph in its
various forms (RDF/XML, N3, abstract graph). In other words, it would be
the Squeak equivalent of the Jena Java RDF API."    However there has
been no activity on Rakaiko since 2007 and there is no apparent
documentation.   Has anyone used this and/or is this abandoned?

Page 20 of "ESUG 2006 Welcome" mentions a "RDF Framework for
Smalltalk."  Did anything come of this?

Alternatively I could fake it and learn just how to parse the XML
directly and manually translate it into the class model.   (It seems
processing an a RDF Schema might be able to automatically create the
class definition as well as the instance creation )

There is PetitXML, which however is not included by
ConfigurationOfPetitParser.24 loaded on Moose 4.6.  What is the status
of PetitXML ?

Also Moose 4.6 has XML-Parser.   Which of XML-Parser or PetitXML would
be the better approach ?

I've watched http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/simple-xml-browser-with-glamour
but not sure whether than will help me actually load the data into a model.

You opinion of these various approaches would be appreciated, and of
course pointers to any examples/documentation.