[squeak-dev] Are Objects really hard?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Feb 11 19:10:26 UTC 2012

Chris Cunnington wrote:
> I don't think Smalltalk was designed for children.

If by "Smalltalk" you mean (as nearly everyone does) "Smalltalk-80" then
it certainly wasn't. But the unimplemented Smalltalk-71 and the first
Smalltalk-72 were explicitly designed for children, and most of the
first users were children. The very name "Smalltalk", replacing "Slogo -
Simulation Logo", was invented with children in mind. Smalltalk-76 and
-80, on the other hand, were meant for adult programmers and very few
children have ever tried them.  The children did get Etoys and Scratch
as layers on top of Squeak, though. And I have never seen anyone have
the slightest problems with objects in Etoys.

-- Jecel