[squeak-dev] Re: Are Objects really hard?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Feb 11 18:58:01 UTC 2012

Hi Stef,

S, stephane ducasse piše:

> Frankly I do not care about what other people are thinking.
> OOP is a success look at Java, C#.
>
> Now let us keep our energy to build better Smalltalks.

Well, after hard work it is good from time to time to make a
retrospection and let our thoughts to think a bit broader, to look from
a distance to our work. To see the forest and not just trees.

So such debate from time to time is certainly refreshing and needed,
specially if it is started from a outsider's perspective. Every wise man
listen to the opinion of others. Well, of course wisely :)

In this case I see a wise thinking about weaknesses of OO and Smalltalk
and how to overcome it by better "best practices". For instance, the
newcommers are asking where to find a guidelines for modeling OO domain
models in pure OO way. In this guidelines we can emphasise above
mentioned best practices, then author's claim that  "no one really
understands to this day how to do them right" won't be valid much anymore.

Best regards
Janko