[squeak-dev] can this be done via modification to the Squeak/Pharo IDE?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Feb 29 23:14:11 UTC 2012

  (Cc:ed to Pharo list, but will bounce as I'm not subscribed.)

At Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:09:56 -0600,
Chris Muller wrote:

> His presentation was impressive and refined, but he failed to mention
> a _most dynamic_ way to develop ideas... By closing one's eyes and
> simply imagining the possibilities without *any* burden of visible
> code.  IOW, imagine without being constrained by the "how" or whether
> its even possible.  THEN, note it down in words and try to implement
> it with a dynamic system like what he showed.

Yup.  Interestingly, that pretty much describes how Bret actually
works (we had an opportunity to work together).  Whenever there is a
little idea pops up, he launches Photoshop and with quick strokes on
his tablet, he makes the screen mock up first.  He mocks up some
animations and effects there by Photoshop's layers and etc.  Clearly
at this point, he would not think about how to implement.  Then, he
can implement it also really quickly.

For the original question: "can this be done via modification to the
Squeak/Pharo IDE?".  Even though some Squeak tools, and Etoys, do
possesses the potential to be the basis of such dynamic environment,
if the word "this" in the question really means what he actually does,
the answer would be different.  What he actually does takes absolute
attention to any detail and the ability of explaining things clearly,
and uber-programming ability combined in one person.

-- Yoshiki