[squeak-dev] Category to be ignored by Monticello?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:13:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Dave Mason <dmason at mason-rose.ca> wrote:

> I have some code that generates code on the fly in user classes.  I want
> them to stay in the image for efficiency reasons, but if the user class
> gets saved in Monticello, I don't want the generated code saved.  I can
> obviously put the methods in some particular category - say
> *auto*generated*do*not*save*. But after looking at Monticello for a bit, I
> can't find where it decides what to save - if, for example, it ignores
> things in other categories.
>
> Any help appreciated - either "Yes, it ignores *foo*bar* category", or
> "Here's where to look in Monticello"

The convention understood by Monticello is that categories that begin with
*package- are part of package.  e.g. in my image there's a protocol in
class Object called "*VMMaker-translation support" that contains extensions
on Object that are part of the VMMaker package.  The methods there-in are
saved only when the VMMaker package is saved, not when the Kernel package
(which contains the class Object) is saved.

So to arrange that user classes are unaffected it is sufficient to add your
code in some invented package, using the above convention, e.g.
"*ThisIsNotARealMonticelloPackage-so dont worry about the methods here in"
:)  When Monticello is used to save the user's code these extensions will
be ignored.  The would only get saved if one tried to save
the ThisIsNotARealMonticelloPackage package.

HTH

--
best,
Eliot