[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-ul.664.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 12 18:07:03 UTC 2012

On 12.01.2012, at 18:04, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Speaking of correctness: the pointer finder does not find an object that is held only by a process. Can we fix this?
>>>

> If you're saying how might we do this then it seems to me we can, either by taking a snapshot of the runnable process at the start of pointer-finder, or by treating Process instances specially, querying whether a process is in the run-queue when it is encountered.
>
>> Can provide an example?
>
> Imagine I changed the background process to allocate some object in a temporary and hold onto it.  The background process would be the only referent of this object, and the only referent of the background process is the run queue.

What's the "run queue" you speak of?

In my understanding, all runnable processes are held by the ProcessorScheduler, so they should be found by the pointer finder. And indeed, the idle-process is found via the #Processor global.

All other processes should be in some Semaphore's wait list, and get found there.

- Bert -