[squeak-dev] speeding up copying World using dirty rectangles?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 17:15:16 UTC 2012

in my Gui to OpenGL code, I'm doing a very naive procedure to copy the
World to an OpenGL at every #step. I know that there's many ways to
speed this up (I get only 10fps with a saturated core when I do it the
simplest way). Suggestsion on how to make the following more efficient?
THanks.

getLatestImageFromWorld

     |format form  tempTextures|

     pasteUpFormCanvas ifNil: [^self].
     self hide.
     myPasteUp fullDrawOn: pasteUpFormCanvas.
     self show.
     form := pasteUpFormCanvas form.
     fPUWidth := form width.
     fPUHeight := form height.

     tempTextures := WordArray with:   (textureIntNames at: 1).
     ogl glDeleteTextures: 1 with: tempTextures.
     ogl glBindTexture: GLTexture2d with: (textureIntNames at: 1).
     ogl checkForError.
     format := ogl textureInternalFormat.

     ogl glEnable: GLTexture2d.

     ogl glTexParameteri: GLTexture2d with: GLTextureMinFilter with:
GLLinear.
     ogl glTexParameteri: GLTexture2d with: GLTextureMagFilter with:
GLLinear.

     ogl glTexImage2D: GLTexture2d
             with: 0
             with: format