[squeak-dev] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Jan 28 15:46:32 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Ralph Johnson in his InfoQ interview made an interesting observation:

2:55 minute: "Smalltalk made an fundamental error ... image ... you can
build something with 4-5 people what 50 people can build in Java, but if
you take 200 people in Java ... it is really designed for small systems
...  "

Are we because of the image really destined for relatively small
projects and small systems (of Java 50 people project size)?

Are we really not able to scale to bigger projects/systems because of that?

Ok, there are few exceptions of course (JPMorgan, OOCL, ..), but still...

[1] http://www.infoq.com/interviews/johnson-armstrong-oop

Best regards
Janko

--