[squeak-dev] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Sat Jan 28 23:20:27 UTC 2012

Karl,

For the types of project that would employ a team of 200, you need to be able to reliably reproduce the state of an image, from scratch, 5 years after development has completed ...

I invite you to read Allen Wirfs-Brock's paper on "Declarative Smalltalk"[1]. Here are some excerpts:

  Smalltalk does not include the concept of a program as a distinct entity. In practice,
  a Smalltalk program is the state of a virtual image when work is declared completed.

  Lack of a program definition in traditional Smalltalk environments leads to an undue
  reliance on the virtual image. Images can become obsolete or broken. Because the program
  is encoded in the image, the program is in danger of becoming inaccessible if the image
  becomes outmoded or corrupt.

  The manual and unreliable nature of the initialization of Smalltalk programs leads to a
  number of program errors. Especially prevalent after reconstruction of a program in a new
  image are errors where program elements have an initial value of nil instead of some other
  value as originally intended by the programmer.

  The use of a declarative specification model has little direct impact upon Smalltalk programmers.
  Even though Smalltalk has traditionally been implemented using an imperative program description
  model, the perception of most Smalltalk programmers is of a declarative model. This is because
  Smalltalk programmers typically create and edit programs using a browser that presents the classes
  that make up the program in a declarative style.

Disclaimer: I worked with Allen Wirfs-Brock in the nineties (engineer on the Team/V team) while he was developing his ideas for Declarative Smalltalk, so I am somewhat biased in my thinking:)

My opinion that being able to build images from scratch (easily and reproducibly) is a "requirement" to get in the door  for mainstream projects... giving mainstream developers the opportunity to work in a image-based environment will set them free:)

Dale

[1] http://www.smalltalksystems.com/publications/_awss97/SSDCL1.HTM