[squeak-dev] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Darius Clarke socinian at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 07:46:16 UTC 2012

> It would be interesting to know if anyone can cite a real world example
> of someone who thought that a software project could be accomplished by
> a team of 200 people, and it actually turned out to be true.

The Boeing 777 fly-by-wire system...
Never a plane crash due to a software bug... written in Ada.
http://archive.adaic.com/projects/atwork/boeing.html
http://www.citemaster.net/getdoc/9240/yeh98_777-fbw.pdf
http://www.springerlink.com/content/gr578227271350x7/

But, I still love Smalltalk for expressing/representing general ideas which
change as people's thinking changes and as cellular biology changes rather
than engineering a completely known domain.
Like the difference between A.I. and A.G.I.

- Darius

*Honeywell's massive effort on the 777 involved over 550 software developers
> *. The company built the AIMS computer as a custom platform based on the
> AMD 29050 processor. It was unique among aviation systems for integrating
> the other computers' functions; in other systems, each function resides in
> a different box [the central maintenance had its own box with its own
> input/output (I/O), its own central processing unit (CPU), etc.]. AIMS
> combines all these functions and shares the CPU and I/O among them: it uses
> the same signals for flight management and for displays, so that the data
> comes in only once instead of twice; one input circuit provides data to all
> of the functions; each of the functions gets a piece of the CPU, as in a
> mainframe computer, where systems use part of the CPU but not all of it;
> and every function is guaranteed its time slot. Engineer Jeff Greeson said
> that "The federated system is obsolete. Putting all the functions in one
> box is a jump ahead in technology that we've brought to the industry."

Honeywell's Airplane Information Management System (AIMS) project consists