[squeak-dev] 4.3 - new Bug in Locale >> primTimezone?

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Jan 31 16:12:03 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I've ported some of my code into Squeak 4.3 (was running in 4.2 before),
and ran into a weird issue comparing Date objects.

When you execute "Date today", it produces a Date object with DateAndTime
localTimeZone's offset, which is set upon image startup to be Locale >>
offsetLocalToUTC, which in turn calls Locale >> primTimezone.

On a 4.2 image, on both my XP and Windows 7 machines, that primitive
returns -300 (minutes), which is -5 hours, which is correct (since I live
in SW Ontario, Canada, which is EST).

On a 4.3 image, with or without updates, that method returns -240, which is
-4, which is clearly wrong at this point in time.

- Jon