[squeak-dev] Looking for Squeak-80

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Fri Jul 6 02:39:46 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its
complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled
down Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally
defined in the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but
much simpler than what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just
wondering if there is any stripped down version like this.  (Not just
stripped down but very similar to the original smalltalk-80)

On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to
figure out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.)
with squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They
all show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how
to create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time
with it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and
modal dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way
people could easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business
applications with Squeak" is needed.

Thanks.

Blake McBride