[squeak-dev] Looking for Squeak-80

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:43:00 UTC 2012

On 7/5/12 11:39 PM, "Blake McBride" <blake at mcbride.name> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its
> complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled down
> Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally defined in
> the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but much simpler than
> what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just wondering if there is any
> stripped down version like this.  (Not just stripped down but very similar to
> the original smalltalk-80)
>
> On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to figure
> out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.) with
> squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They all
> show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how to
> create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time with
> it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and modal
> dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way people could
> easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business applications with
> Squeak" is needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake McBride

Blake:

You could try Cuis http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html

If full Cuis still scares you , I have a reduced version originated from a
work Juan what is at this time the most complete / smaller .
In 2.5 mb you have a nice scaled down Morphic with same Network as Squeak
4.3.

On top of this you could put some logic and have WebClient and start with
web apps.

Cuis have some fans and a Spanish list in our
http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/squeakRos/

Forget is a Spanish list for talk about everything and send questions in
English and sure have answers.

Edgar