[squeak-dev] Looking for Squeak-80

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:25:52 UTC 2012

> I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its
> complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled down
> Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally defined in
> the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but much simpler
> than what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just wondering if there
> is any stripped down version like this.  (Not just stripped down but very
> similar to the original smalltalk-80)

If you can develop a basic domain model in Smalltalk, then you can use
Maui to rapidly prototype a UI using only drag-and-drop assembly of
messages on panels, to operate on that domain model.  You don't have
to write any UI code (but you can if you want for special enhancement
of your app).  The messages you drop onto panels, when invoked,
produce other panels which, themselves, can be used as input to other
messages.  IOW, all outputs are also inputs, which makes for a
powerful and flexible UI.

Here is a video showing what a professionally-developed Maui
application can look like (starting at time index 32:00):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUUqjItMpZ0&list=PL0AB6706BBFAE82DD&feature=mh_lolz

An introductory video about Maui.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUdu8ImXJwU