[squeak-dev] All MVC image ( was Looking for Squeak-80)

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:16:13 UTC 2012

On 7/6/12, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:12:23PM +0200, Stefan Marr wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> On 06 Jul 2012, at 19:22, Sam Adams wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Chris,
>> > We stripped down a Squeak image to its MVC roots for use in some of our
>> > research into massive multicore programming models.
>> > I thought it was in the Squeak archives somewhere, but I'll be happy to
>> > provide you a copy via private email.
>> >
>> > Smalltalk-80 was (and is!) and amazing system.
>> Just for reference, the image Sam talks about was made available as part
>> of the original open sourcing effort for the RoarVM.
>>
>> It is about 1.7MB and can be downloaded at:
>> https://github.com/downloads/smarr/RoarVM/minimal-MVC.zip
>>
>> The shrinking scripts that were applied to Squeak 3.7 (or 3.8, don't
>> remember well) are still in the image.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Stefan
>>

> MVC got somewhat broken in the 3.9 time frame, and this still needs to
> be put right.  Once restored to health, it should be possible to make
> Morphic unloadable and reloadable in the same way that MVC is currently
> unloadable and reloadable.
>
> The most immediate problem in MVC is the lack of sufficient ToolBuilder
> support to provide a working debugger. I suspect that if the debugger
> can be restored to health, the rest of the issues will be straightforward.

There was considerable progress on fixing the debugger in 2010.
Andreas Raab started a thread on Sep 7, 2010  with 42 follow up posts.
Andreas Raab, David T. Lewis and Florin Mateoc worked on the debugger.

I think before that MVC did not even start properly..

What still does not work in addition is

- FileList
- SystemBrowser shows improper button layout (instance / ? / class).

Of course at this very moment the best thing for people interested in
MVC is just to take
Sungjin Chun's image
  https://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/downloads

or the one Sam Adams / Stefan Marr were talking about
  https://github.com/downloads/smarr/RoarVM/minimal-MVC.zip (1.7MB)

--Hannes