[squeak-dev] A plea for OSProcess on MS Windows

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:03:38 UTC 2012

Oh good whatever you believe in.

Frank, when I found out that their SDETs were writing test code in C++ around that Bing joke and asked the guy in charge (during the phone screen) what the test devs thought about it, he just flapped.

Guy failed to be abled to articulate in the language we were speaking in, he was so flapped.

I'm going to be very kind to the hiring manager dweeb, and omit his name here. But *the guy didn't know shit from shinola* and wanted me to worship his (absent) education before he would give me an onsite interview.

I said: "Why aren't they using something like F#?"

He didn't know what I was talking about. The hiring manager for the Bing team had *never even heard about F#!!!*

The only people other than hard core external nerds who know what that is are hard core nerds who live in what they call "Dev-Div" at MS, which is where they have people who can actually speak things like grammar, environment, and virtual machine, but these folks can't change anything either. Too much chasing the whims of the Ballmers of the world, as usual.

At least when B.G. was running the company, they had an actual engineering culture. Even if that engineering culture happened around systems programming and low cults.

It's actually up to us. I really believe that.

P.S.

I don't want to waste any more bandwidth on this list because I'm recognizing now that I'm way off-topic; that said, feel free to write directly if that's what you want to do, but let's get this boring crap off of squeak-dev, where miracles happen for small kids in places where they're otherwise treated as commodities.

It's more important to see about improving the future than it is to complain about what is, and so I am remiss.