[squeak-dev] [Squeak 0007694]: Buggy drawing of text by Pen class under OSX

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 13 00:50:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:39:17AM +1000, Chris Wright wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I posted this bug on the Mantis system
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7694
>
> and Ken Causey helpfully suggested that I might post it here:
>
> OSX 10.7.4
> Squeak 3.4 update#11860 <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=11860>
>
> Display restoreAfter:
> [Pen new squareNib: 2; color: Color red; turn: 45;
>         print: 'The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea
> green boat.' withFont: TextStyle defaultFont]
>
> draws text at the correct angle, but the text is patterned
> same for defaultNib:1
>
> screen shot at
>
> http://imgur.com/lK949
>
> any help appreciated!

Chris,

I added a note to the Mantis issue:

  I tried this on Linux and get the same results, so it is not platform
  dependent.  I also tried on an old Squeak 3.6 image (also on Linux),
  and got similar results except that the default font is different, with
  Squeak 3.6 using a StrikeFont(NewYork10 12) and Squeak trunk using a
  StrikeFont(Bitmap DejaVu Sans 9 14). So I suspect that this is not so
  much a bug as an existing limitation of the Pen class when drawing
  these fonts.

Dave