[squeak-dev] Squeak release process

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:10:23 UTC 2012

On 16 July 2012 12:03, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/12 6:59 AM, "Frank Shearar" <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After the recent chat between Alexander Lazarević and Chris
>> Cunnington, I had a brief look at the Squeak wiki to see if I could
>> find any checklist a release manager could use to orchestrate a new
>> Squeak release. (This is fairly timeous, I reckon, given that 4.3's
>> already over 6 months old.)
>>
>> I couldn't find anything. Where would one find such a list? (*) If
>> there isn't one, we really ought to write one. If there isn't an
>> automated "make a new tag on Mantis for the release" script we can at
>> least have a "nag a Mantis admin to make a release" item.
>>
>> frank
>>
>> (*) No, I'm not volunteering for releasing 4.4! Sorry :/
>
> Seems the job Ralph and me was unnoticed
>
> See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919 and several more related.
> Once we have a Release Team and for no good reasons we don't have one now.

Hi Edgar,

I saw several such pages. Those tell me what went into 3.10, 4.3, etc.
I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about a checklist that anyone
can follow to produce/manage a new Squeak release. For example
* Warn of a code freeze no later than 4 weeks before the due release date
Pre-release planning and announcements
* Ensure that all tests pass. Any failing tests that cannot be fixed
marked as expected failures
* and
* so
* on
Release time
* Add a new category to Mantis for the release
* Prepare release notes, published to squeak-dev for comment. In the
absence of comments, assume that the notes are fine.
* Publish the artifacts to ___.
Post-release cleanup
* Unmark the expected failures marked earlier, so someone can actually fix them

Also, of course we have a release team. We just don't have a
_dedicated_ release team. And we shouldn't, for good reason: a
dedicated release team is an excuse for everyone else to assume that
the release team bears full responsibility for the process.

frank