[squeak-dev] [ANN] Altitude

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Jul 17 20:45:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

One of my side projects for the last few years has been to experiment
with new ways of writing web applications, learning from our
experience with Seaside, but moving beyond it and trying to keep pace
with the state of the art in web application design. This hasn't been
a big secret—I've talked about the project and given demos in various
places—but I've been holding off on open-sourcing it until I had
something that I felt was ready for public scrutiny. Well, recently
Chris Cunnington would have none of that and challenged me to release
it already or shut up about it. So, here it is. ;-)

The framework is called Altitude, and released under the MIT license.
It's a brand-new, from-scratch HTTP server and application framework
written on top of Xtreams. It's still pretty raw. There's lots of
features missing and some functionality is present but completely
untested, as I've implemented things as I need them for my
application. There's no documentation and very few comments.

If you want to play around with it, execute the attached load script
in an up-to-date 4.4 image. The project repository is here:

    http://source.wiresong.ca/al

Colin