[squeak-dev] [ANN] Altitude

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 20:21:20 UTC 2012

On 17 July 2012 21:45, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of my side projects for the last few years has been to experiment
> with new ways of writing web applications, learning from our
> experience with Seaside, but moving beyond it and trying to keep pace
> with the state of the art in web application design. This hasn't been
> a big secret—I've talked about the project and given demos in various
> places—but I've been holding off on open-sourcing it until I had
> something that I felt was ready for public scrutiny. Well, recently
> Chris Cunnington would have none of that and challenged me to release
> it already or shut up about it. So, here it is. ;-)
>
> The framework is called Altitude, and released under the MIT license.
> It's a brand-new, from-scratch HTTP server and application framework
> written on top of Xtreams. It's still pretty raw. There's lots of
> features missing and some functionality is present but completely
> untested, as I've implemented things as I need them for my
> application. There's no documentation and very few comments.

Ah, I see a JSON parser lurking in there. Oddly enough, I needed a
JSON parser the other week and changed Tony Garnock-Jones' JSON parser
to work off Xtreams. It was a pretty easy port, actually. I haven't
bothered to make it public because I've only just started playing
around with some ideas, but I can if there's any interest.

Ah, and I see that you can parse not just objects or arrays as top
level objects. Nice! (I say that because the JSON syntax has as its
top level rule something like "Start ::= object | array", so
technically, "1" is not well-formed JSON (even though I imagine most
people just ignore that, and permit atoms as top level entities).)

frank