[squeak-dev] some quick and dirty sites

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:09:02 UTC 2012

On 23 July 2012 21:37, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://yellow.16r.ca
> http://blue.16r.ca
> http://alt.16r.ca
>
> http://www.osrcon.ca/AL-Examples.st
>
> http://reversehttp.net/index.html
> http://reversehttp.net/relay-http-spec.html
>
> I have three sites here. The first two are the same class (GNHelloWorld)
> served from different environments of a single image. I tried to load
> Altitude into the Environments image and it will not go in no way no how.
> WebClient and GreenNeon do, though, using Monticello.
>
> The third site is a quick Altitude site. The movie appears for me in Chrome
> and Safari, but not in Firefox or Opera. The gray gradients work and don't
> work in the same browsers.
>
> You will notice the Counter Page link, which when you roll over it creates a
> suitable url. It does not work. Altitude's relationship between paths and
> resources is very versatile and I haven't got the hang of it yet. So I can't
> link to the other page. Works on localhost ...
>
> Xtreams from the 2010 ESUG video I watched has this ability to layer/stack
> streams. This makes encoding trivial. It's impressive.
>
> Altitude has things called endpoints and relays (not to be confused with
> terminals and transforms), which I think point to the main purpose of
> Altitude - remote messaging. For surgery on an image to pare it down
> megabyte by megabyte. Or, consider an image as a single object. Then the
> image/objects  send each other messages in the cloud. No polling. Pushing.
> As described by Tony Garnock Jones.

I'm heading this way in my own hacking, so I guess I should plant a
flag and say that when I've finished my current hack I'll be trying to
provide "remote browser reflection" on an image: permitting external
entities to introspect on (and later, to alter) a running image by
serving up JSON from a RESTful API.

I was originally going to just use JSON and roll a dispatching
mechanism myself, but Altitude ought to provide a more standard
mechanism for that, and one I don't have to write myself.

frank