[squeak-dev] Documentation/Comment per package

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 17:05:20 UTC 2012

> You have to agree that a `package comment` belongs with the package and should travel where ever the package goes ...

Yeah that's a good responsibility for a PackageInfo, but until I
understand how it would interplay with IDE tools in a useful way,
simply a message implementation seems enough.

    PackageInfo>>#comment
         ^ String empty

and subclasses can override if they wish.

With this approach you get all the comment versioning / diffing etc.
for "free" vs. Berts approach the comment is a "special" attribute of
the PI that is "hidden" from all of the other attributes such as
#license, #authors, #tutorial, etc.  For THOSE attributes, go to the
PackageInfo class browser and update them, but for the #comment, go
somewhere else because it's stored in a MC definition.

So, it's an inconsistent treatment of PI attributes that I have
trouble understanding why and would not want to try to explain to a
newbie..

Regards,
  Chris