[squeak-dev] ClassBoxes... bitrotted, or usable?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:55:52 UTC 2012

I mused with a colleague about how I'd like to see "lexically scoped
monkey patching", and he pointed me to some guys that want to add that
to Ruby (http://timelessrepo.com/refinements-in-ruby). Note the
inspiration for their work: ClassBoxes!
(http://scg.unibe.ch/research/classboxes)

I remember reading the paper years ago, and started working through it
again now. Something that's not clear to me is this: does ClassBoxes
require VM-side changes? (Because it changes the method lookup, after
all, searching packages for methods before working up the inheritance
tree.) If so, how invasive are they? If not, do we have a ball-park
estimate of how much work it would be to update ClassBoxes to a more
recent Squeak/Pharo?

I'm more than happy to do the dogwork. I'd just like to know whether
I'm signing up for months of work or not.

Thanks!

frank