[squeak-dev] XTSocketReadingWritingTest>>#testReadWriteLargeAmount fails

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Jun 18 18:29:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I loaded ConfigurationOfXtreams into Trunk, and I have the above test
> as a single failure.
>
> It's not obvious to me why the test should fail, and I think I
> remember it passing in the past (because I'm pretty sure I'd have
> moaned about the failure already!). It's not as simple as not having
> enough time to run; upping the timeout to 10s makes no difference. And
> yet the test does _occasionally_ pass.
>
> Any ideas?

I think this is a flaw in the Xtreams tests. They're actually doing
socket IO, which means spawning processes. I think it's an
interprocess timing issue. Multi-process tests are just about
impossible to do well.

I don't know what the right fix for this is. In the past I've used a
Mocket to test socket IO, but I don't know if that's appropriate here.

Colin