[squeak-dev] How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:34:11 UTC 2012

"This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."

This neatly proposes a solution to the problem of how to distribute the
OmniBrowser.
Releasing it with in an image release is one way to go. I don't think
that eight
weeks after releasing 4.3 that we'll be doing that. I'd expect 4.4 no
earlier than
Summer. And when we do release 4.4 a primary objective will to include Cog.

By the way, Cog is a good example of how change works for Squeak. The
transition
has been going on for a year, a year and a half. And nobody would say Cog
wasn't anything but a boon. What if something were not so clearly
beneficial?

That's what I figure the Jenkins server will be for. People can get used
to things if they have an artifact to play with. If we want to make
changes to
the image to the extent we have for the vm, then we can accommodate both
early
adopters and late adopters by having a place to get an artifact long
before it goes into
the Squeak release. Eliot has his download page. It is to be hoped that the
Jenkins server will do that for images.

(Yes, we have an FTP download site, but it would be better to give
accounts to
people and let them try things out in public, generate tests, etc. And I'd
like to see people who do fascinating things but have a lower profile, like
Jon Hylands, have an account so people could try an image with their ideas.)

How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.

One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the one
I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
SOB will be more productive.

Thanks,
Chris