[squeak-dev] SqueakSource Projects with more than 1000 downloads

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:30:30 UTC 2012

That was an interesting exercise. Of all the projects on
http://www.squeaksource.com 495 have downloads greater than 1000. Of
those 495, some observations can be made.

Some are old and bypassed by other projects. Some are for compsi courses
at schools. Some are part of the Pharo development process. Others are
Pharo only.  Many others are idiosyncratic personal projects. I'd say
there are 50 projects people go back to again and again. What is it they
say? 20% of all salespeople get 80% of all the sales. Something like
that is happening on SqS. There is a canon of projects and a lot of
outliers.

I had thought of scraping SqS to get the goods and move it over to
Squeak Map. In truth, if I made everything at MetacelloRepository
available and then then moved 50 key projects by hand then I'd have
covered 80% of all possible needs. The idea that SqueakSource is useful
because it has breadth and depth is a canard. People are going back over
and over again for the same projects.

Chris

SqueakSource Projects of >1000 downloads:

jQuery
391
SqueakCells
ADayAtTheBeach