[squeak-dev] GSoC application submitted, 22 ideas collected

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:07:03 UTC 2012

Name: A binding to R
Level: Advanced
Possible mentor: ?
Possible second mentor: ?

Description

With the increased popularity of high-level statistical programming
language and environments for data analysis like R, a way to interface this
package is becoming a must have for Smalltalk, since it implements complex
and unrivalled statistical techniques for data manipulation and
presentation, like Analysis of Variance, Covariance, Time Series,
Generalized Linear Models, Additive Models, Non-linear Regressions, Tree
Models, Multivariate Statistics, etc. besides the many mathematical
functions, which are used in fields from economics to medicine and
engineering. It is estimated that R posseses about 2 million of users
worldwide and more than 2000 add-ons and increasing everyday through
repositories like CRAN and Crantastic.org

Technical Details

The student should know or be motivated to learn statistics with the R
environment and language, and its fundamental workflow: importing and
preparing the data, and finally running the analysis, and presenting the
results. Dealing with R sessions and presentation of results (like vectors
and plots) will be challenging too.

Benefits to the Student

The student will gain invaluable experience from two complementary
environments, and his experience with the interface technology choosed will
be useful for the many projects where Smalltalk needs help from external
systems.

Benefits to the Community

The goal of this project is to build a wrapper to interface R, an open
source statistical programming language, providing a whole range of missing
functionality to Smalltalk. This binding could complement the R environment
where a general programming environment is needed, attracting many
statisticians, and will open Smalltalk to domain-specific areas as diverse
as Clinical Trials, Finance and Machine Learning.

--
Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,