[squeak-dev] Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 29 11:41:17 UTC 2012

On 29.03.2012, at 11:19, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Karl:
>
> 1 Undeclared in Etoys 5.0 RC 2
>
> a Dictionary(#CClipboard->nil #DrGeoWindow->nil #DuplicateVariableError->nil #GStreamerSystem->nil #HTTPProgress->nil #index->nil #interpreterProxy->nil #MacServicesInterface->nil #MIMETypeMacResolver->nil #multistatus->false #ResumableTestFailure->nil #RomeFreetypeFont->nil #ScaledDecimal->nil #SUnitNameResolver->nil #shouldClearOrigin->nil #TestCase->nil #TestFailure->nil #ToolBuilder->nil )

Good find.

> 2 Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference
>

> In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta.
>
> Now you need the following “la vuelta larga” “the long way”
>
> 1. open Object Catalog from Supply Bin
> 2. click "Alphabetic" and "P"
> 3. drag "Preferences" to desktop
> 4. click "Scripting"
> 5. uncheck "EtoysFriendly"
> 6. close Preferences and Object catalog
>
> Cheers
>
> Edgar

There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and iPad versions.

There are various means to get at the preferences dialog. It's in the world's halo menu, and in the "view-source" menu (special key on OLPC XO, cmd-comma elsewhere).

One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)

- Bert -