[squeak-dev] The Trunk: GetText-edc.18.mcz

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Mar 30 12:39:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 01:11:59PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>>
>>> Edgar J. De Cleene uploaded a new version of GetText to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/GetText-edc.18.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: GetText-edc.18
>>> Author: edc
>>> Time: 15 March 2012, 6:29:37.486 pm
>>> UUID: 43d88f85-6e87-41fb-8dd1-883feaf3d297
>>> Ancestors: GetText-edc.17
>>>
>>> '_' s replaced by ':='
>>
>> The method you used to replace the assignments is wrong, because it's
>> just simple search and replace, which ignores the context (e.g. strings
>> and comments). Please review the changes by hand and fix them.
>
> I have found that Bert's FixUnderscores package works well for updating
> the assignment characters in a package. FixUnderscores will do most of
> the changes, but the updates must still be checked by hand as in a case
> like this one.
>
> FixUnderscores is on SqueakMap.

There's FixUnderscores2 which is even better, because it uses the compiler
to find assignments and do the replacement properly. But I think the best
solution is to add a utility to the Trunk itself (I wrote one using
Eliot's parse node visitor), so it will be straightforward to find the
right tool.
Manual review is still necessary, because sometimes the comments contain
code with assignments.

Levente