[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] STON - Smalltalk Object Notation

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed May 9 03:38:00 UTC 2012

On 5/5/12, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be> wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> On 05 May 2012, at 11:53, H. Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Thank you Sven for your follow up of the recent JSON/STON/Tirade
>> discussion by providing an STON implementation for Squeak 4.3 and
>> working with Dale to get it to other Smalltalks (github). [1]
>>
>> I think your STON implementation will be very useful for my work. It
>> works fine in Squeak 4.3 updated to the latest change [2].
>
> Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement.
>
>> There is a class STON used as a singleton. I assume this is the
>> equivalent of the JSON object in web browsers, right?
>
> I am afraid I am not familiar enough with how JSON is handled in
> Javascript/Webbrowsers, so I cannot compare.
>
> But the STON object in the current implementation is a class facade API to
> read/write to/from streams/strings while hiding the actual parser or writer
> classes. It is a central access point, but it is very thin: using STONReader
> or STONWriter directly is perfectly OK too. Maybe I should add some
> invocation examples to the paper to explain the API.
>
> Sven

Hi again, Sven,

Thank you for this explanation and the updating of the documentation on github.

For the JSON object in web browsers

ECMAScript 5.1 specification: chapter 15.12
<citation>
The JSON object is a single object that contains two functions, parse
and stringify, that are used to parse and construct JSON texts. The
JSON Data Interchange Format is described in RFC 4627
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt>.
</citation>

And
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/JSON