[squeak-dev] Fun with spock (NativeBoost FFI)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun May 13 20:08:11 UTC 2012

On 13 May 2012 20:56, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in NativeBoost, and I read your posts and I don't understand
> what you're saying at all. I was wondering if you could help me out.
>
> NativeBoost lets a person use a different kind of FFI, one which bypasses C
> and write Assembly with Smalltalk.
> So my first question is how did you load it? And which VM did you use to
> ensure it had the plugin?

The VM is here:
https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/NativeBoost/

the code to load into image is here:

Gofer it
  squeaksource: 'NativeBoost';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfNativeBoost';
  load.

ConfigurationOfNativeBoost blah blah .. load

> So you loaded NB and did something with it. Something about a library called
> gmp that is a math library?
> And then you did something with the something and - ha ha ha - it worked!
> Something like that?

:)

> I'm interested in your experiment and how it succeeded, but if you could
> roll it back  and explain it to me as though I just hit my head, I'd
> appreciate it.

Yes, i think Lawson should do that.
So, i can extract some non-intuitive bits and put in NB doc.

> Do you have Dropbox or something? Could you zip your image and vm and post a
> link?
>
> And who is this Tiberius Kirk you keep talking about?

The Spock is codename for a project to unify existing FFI APIs to
leave only one.
Not much real progress there.. we still discussing how to do that.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.