[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Fun with spock (NativeBoost FFI)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu May 17 02:01:12 UTC 2012

On 17 May 2012 02:52, Nicolas Cellier
> 2012/5/17 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>> The biggest downside of GMP library, is that you have to  manage
>> resources in C way - i.e. manually..
>> No GC -> more homework for adopter(s), and less performance.
>>
>> In docs it even says: yeah you can plug-in own memory management function(s),
>> but beware that memory blocks can have pointers to each other.
>> Which means, that even if i create a custom allocator to force this
>> library to use
>> object memory as heap, it won't work under moving GC.
>>

> Funny, GST use GMP, and I was just reading Paolo Bonzini reporting GC
> was not efficient here:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/126700.html

i'm not sure what efficiency you referring to.
sure thing a total run time for any algorithm under GC is affected by GC.
But i really doubt that if you won't use GC, you will waste less time
on resource management,
given that your algorithm allocate & manage same amount of memory.

With GMP, you can create a single number and mutate it, instead of
creating new instances
to hold an operation result.
But i think you are agree that if you will do that, then comparison
will be unfair.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.